Last update: July 8, 2018
Interesting destinations on the Interwebs. If you are new to overlanding and expedition vehicles, I highly encourage attending one of the Overland Expo’s.
Table of contents
- Our Build
- Health & Exercise
We built an expedition camper from a 15 foot Bliss Mobil camper unit mounted to a U.S. Army LMTV M1078A1. Couch Off-Road Engineering modified the LMTV platform. We also added a custom M1102 trailer from Access Manufacturing. You can get all the stats on our build from the deep dive stats post.
- Bliss Mobil has a unique angle on manufacturing highly self-reliant living quarters that can be mounted to any suitable truck frame. They’re based in Breda, the Netherlands. Marlene, Eduard and Merten are good people. They and the Bliss Mobil team have many combined years of experience and it shows in their products.
- C.O.R.E. is based in Denver, Colorado, USA. Jay Couch, owner, has deep and extensive experience in 4WD, especially big vehicles like Mogs.
- Access Manuf (Expedition Supply provides sales and support) – Custom M1101/M1102 expedition trailers. As much as we love our M1102 trailer I’m considering eliminating it from our combo to make big truck offroad travel a tad easier.
- Acela Truck Company has recently come on to the scene and offer several turn-key LMTV and FMTV models. I met the team and toured their production facility and am very impressed! Top-notch builds with extensive options for utility and comfort.
Inspiring Travel Blogs
- Stephanie Lee – A reformed digital nomad. Great tips and sense of humor.
- Explorking – Digital nomad couple combining exploring and working from an RV.
- Technomadia – “We hit the road in 2006 and haven’t stopped since. We combine technology and perpetual travel (tech+nomad) to create a sustainable lifestyle on our own terms that we switch up as we feel called.” Chris and Cherie also run the RV Mobile Internet site with unbiased information on connecting to the Internet on the road (subscription required).
- White Acorn – These folks have been traveling since 2009.
- live. work. dream. – These folks are living the dream! Good advice for nomadic workers/telecommuters.
- Two If Overland – No longer full-timers but good info.
- Nickname International – Another couple who quit their jobs, sold most of their stuff and are traveling around in a Unimog camper.
- Blaine Voyage – Starting July 1, 2017, taking a year off to travel US/Canada and home-school the kids.
Forums, Information, etc.
- Expedition Portal – Adventure and overland travel articles and forum.
- Steel Soldiers – Anything and everything about military vehicles.
- Total Escape – Getting off the beaten path in California.
- Ride The World – Traveling the world by motorcycle.
- Drive the Americas – Articles and forum regarding overland travel in North, Central and South America.
- Horizons Unlimited – Great info and forum on RTW motorcycling. Much of the information is equally apropos to any sort of RTW type travel.
- RV Mobile Internet – Staying connected to the Internet while living on the road (subscription required).
Vehicles – Stock, No Camper
- Acela Truck Company [USA] – Solid turn-key LMTV / FMTV trucks.
- Couch Off-Road Engineering [USA] – Bespoke Mogs, LMTVs and big rigs.
- GovPlanet – Military surplus auctions. Get a M1078 truck, M1101/M1102/M1082 trailers, or go huge!
- American Expedition Vehicles [USA] – Drool-worthy platforms for rooftop tents, campers, trailers…I love, love, love ’em!
- Vintage Offroad [USA] – Land cruisers! Yum!
- Mitsubishi Fuso [USA] – Good 4×4 platform for a small to mid-size camper.
- Expedition Imports [USA] – Mogs! Great platform for a mid-size overland camper.
- Rebel Offroad [USA] – Custom Jeeps and Pickups.
- Excap [Germany] – Fully refurbished Steyr 12M18. The Steyr and the U.S. Army share common heritage. Excap does beautiful work.
- Four Wheel Campers [USA] – Pop-up campers with all the essentials – just add truck.
- XPCamper [USA] – Truck campers – turnkey or you add truck.
- Uro-Camper [Spain] – Custom campers and turnkey solutions.
- James Baroud – Hard shell RTT’s
- Ursa Minor Vehicles – RTT’s
- Treeline Outdoors – Roof-Top Tents (RTT).
- Cascadia Roof Top Vehicle Tents
- Tepui Roof Top Tents
- Access Manuf (Expedition Supply provides sales and support) – Custom M1101/M1102 expedition trailers.
- Turtleback Trailers [USA] – I love these.
- Schutt Trailers [USA] – Manufacturers of military trailers (e.g. M1101) but also sell consumer versions like the XVenture off-road trailer.
- AT Overland [USA] – ORT, RTT and more.
- Equipt – ORT, RTT and more.
- So-Cal Teardrops [USA] – Cool little trailers but not really ORT.
- Manley ORV (MORV) [USA]
- Latitude Campers [USA]
- Ethos [USA]
Vehicles – Turnkey Campers, Expedition and Overland
- Bliss Mobil [Netherlands] – This is what we ended up choosing! We love the product and the people! I’ll dedicate much more space to Bliss Mobil in future posts.
- Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans [USA] – The first vehicle we seriously considered. The latest models on the Mercedes Sprinter are pretty cool…
- EarthCruiser [USA] – Another one we considered. Expedition vehicle on the Fuso chassis with a relatively small profile.
- EarthRoamer Xpedition Vehicles [USA] – Luxury accommodations on a F550 chassis.
- Tiger Adventure Vehicles [USA] – A little less expensive (?) than the ER but still an awesome camper on a sturdy truck chassis.
- Global Expedition Vehicles [USA] – Custom expedition vehicles.
- All Terrain Warriors [USA] – Aussie made on a Fuso frame, SportsMobile as integrator/dealer. Similar profile and advantages of the EarthCruiser.
- Bocklet [Germany] – Large expedition vehicles.
- Hartmann [Germany] – Large, luxurious expedition vehicles built on Zetros and other large truck frames.
Vehicle Accessories & Mods
Accessories – Glamping and Otherwise
- Snow Peak – Beautiful, functional, expensive – we love it!
- Govino – Shatter-proof wine and beer glassware. Priorities.
- Zarges Aluminum Cases – Tough, expensive.
- Sabra Backpacks – Rugged, manly packs.
- ACR & Artex – Emergency Personal Locator Beacons.
Maps, Routes, Etc.
- Trans-America Trail – Aimed at dual-sport riders.
Health & Exercise
Body-weight Exercise (Calisthenics)
- THENX – Our current routine. It’s tough!
- Mark Lauren, You Are Your Own Gym – I’ve been following Mark’s routines for about 5 years and, when I’m sticking with it, I feel great! You can do these exercises any place and any time.
Carnivore / Ketogenic Diet
Lily and I follow a modified carnivore / keto diet. What is that? In a nutshell it’s a low-carb, high-fat diet that is mostly meat.
- Keto for Cancer – Miriam Kalamian helps you to tailor a ketogenic diet specific to those battling cancer. This was an important part of my battle against Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in 2015.
- Dr Georgia Ede MD – She breaks it all down.
- Amber O’Hearn – good science and discussion on carnivore / keto.
Feel free to drop a comment if you have suggestions or to report broken links.