Last update: August 19, 2017
Interesting places on the Interwebs.
Table of contents
- Our Build
- Health & Exercise
We are building an expedition camper from a 15 foot Bliss Mobil camper unit mounted to a U.S. Army LMTV M1078A1. Couch Off-Road Engineering is performing minor updates to the LMTV platform. We recently added a custom M1102 trailer from Access Manufacturing.
- Bliss Mobil has a unique angle on manufacturing highly self-reliant living quarters that can be mounted to any suitable truck frame. They’re based in Breda, the Netherlands. Marlene, Eduard and Merten have been great folks to work with. They and the Bliss Mobil team have many combined years of experience and it shows in their products.
- C.O.R.E. is based in Denver, Colorado, USA. Jay Couch, owner, is an awesome guy to have working on the platform for the Bliss unit. His enthusiasm is infectious. He has deep and extensive experience in 4WD, especially big vehicles like Mogs.
- Access Manuf (Tradesman Truck Tops) – We recently decided to add a trailer to our setup. John and his team build custom shells on top of the M1102 military trailer.
Inspiring Travel Blogs
- Stephanie Lee – A digital nomad traveling the world. Great tips and great sense of humor.
- Explorking – Digital nomad couple combining exploring and working from an RV.
- Technomadia – “We hit the road in 2006 and haven’t stopped since. We combine technology and perpetual travel (tech+nomad) to create a sustainable lifestyle on our own terms that we switch up as we feel called.” Chris and Cherie also run the RV Mobile Internet site with unbiased information on connecting to the Internet on the road (subscription required).
- White Acorn – These folks have been traveling since 2009.
- live. work. dream. – These folks are living the dream! Good advice for nomadic workers/telecommuters.
- Two If Overland – Another nomadic couple. They live in an LMTV/camper combo – same truck chassis we are using!
- Nickname International – Another couple who quit their jobs, sold most of their stuff and are traveling around in a Unimog camper.
- Blaine Voyage – Starting July 1, 2017, taking a year off to travel US/Canada and home-school the kids.
Forums, Information, etc.
- Expedition Portal – Adventure and overland travel articles and forum.
- Steel Soldiers – Anything and everything about military vehicles.
- Total Escape – Getting off the beaten path in California.
- Ride The World – Traveling the world by motorcycle.
- Drive the Americas – Articles and forum regarding overland travel in North, Central and South America.
- Horizons Unlimited – Great info and forum on RTW motorcycling. Much of the information is equally apropos to any sort of RTW type travel.
- RV Mobile Internet – Staying connected to the Internet while living on the road (subscription required).
Vehicles – Stock, No Camper
- Couch Off-Road Engineering [USA] – Shout out to Jay at C.O.R.E.! Jay is building our LMTV, is a great guy and really knows his stuff. He also will do a turnkey solution with accommodations.
- GovPlanet – Military surplus auctions. Get yer M1078 truck, M1101/M1102/M1082 trailers, or go huge!
- American Expedition Vehicles [USA] – Drool-worthy platforms for rooftop tents, campers, trailers…I love, love, love ’em!
- Vintage Offroad [USA] – Land cruisers! Yum!
- Mitsubishi Fuso [USA] – Good 4×4 platform for a small to mid-size camper.
- Expedition Imports [USA] – Mogs! Great platform for a mid-size overland camper.
- Rebel Offroad [USA] – Custom Jeeps and Pickups.
- Excap [Germany] – Fully refurbished Steyr 12M18. The Steyr and the U.S. Army share common heritage. Excap does beautiful work.
- Four Wheel Campers [USA] – Pop-up campers with all the essentials – just add truck.
- XPCamper [USA] – Truck campers – turnkey or you add truck.
- Uro-Camper [Spain] – Custom campers and turnkey solutions.
- James Baroud – Hard shell RTT’s
- Ursa Minor Vehicles – RTT’s
- Treeline Outdoors – Roof-Top Tents (RTT).
- Cascadia Roof Top Vehicle Tents
- Tepui Roof Top Tents
- Access Manuf (Tradesman Truck Tops) – John and his team build custom shells on top of the M1102 military trailer. This was our choice!
- Turtleback Trailers [USA] – I love these.
- Schutt Trailers [USA] – Manufacturers of military trailers (e.g. M1101) but also sell consumer versions like the XVenture off-road trailer.
- AT Overland [USA] – ORT, RTT and more.
- Equipt – ORT, RTT and more.
- So-Cal Teardrops [USA] – Cool little trailers but not really ORT.
- Manley ORV (MORV) [USA]
- Latitude Campers [USA]
- Ethos [USA]
Vehicles – Turnkey Campers, Expedition and Overland
- Bliss Mobil [Netherlands] – This is what we ended up choosing! We love the product and the people! I’ll dedicate much more space to Bliss Mobil in future posts.
- Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans [USA] – The first vehicle we seriously considered. The latest models on the Mercedes Sprinter are pretty cool…
- EarthCruiser [USA] – Another one we considered. Expedition vehicle on the Fuso chassis with a relatively small profile.
- EarthRoamer Xpedition Vehicles [USA] – Luxury accommodations on a F550 chassis.
- Tiger Adventure Vehicles [USA] – A little less expensive (?) than the ER but still an awesome camper on a sturdy truck chassis.
- Global Expedition Vehicles [USA] – Custom expedition vehicles.
- All Terrain Warriors [USA] – Aussie made on a Fuso frame, SportsMobile as integrator/dealer. Similar profile and advantages of the EarthCruiser.
- Bocklet [Germany] – Large expedition vehicles.
- Hartmann [Germany] – Large, luxurious expedition vehicles built on Zetros and other large truck frames.
Vehicle Accessories & Mods
Accessories – Glamping and Otherwise
- Snow Peak – Beautiful, functional, expensive – I want!
- Govino – Shatter-proof wine and beer glassware. Priorities.
- Zarges Aluminum Cases – Tough, expensive.
- Sabra Backpacks – Rugged, manly packs.
- ACR & Artex – Emergency Personal Locator Beacons.
- RVDataSat – Satellite Internet!
Maps, Routes, Etc.
- Trans-America Trail – Aimed at dual-sport riders.
Health & Exercise
Body-weight Exercise (Calisthenics)
- THENX – This is my current routine. It’s tough!
- Mark Lauren, You Are Your Own Gym – I’ve been following Mark’s routines for about 5 years and, when I’m sticking with it, I feel great! You can do these exercises any place and any time.
Lily and I follow a keto diet. What is that? I’ll post more at some point but in a nutshell it’s a low-carb, high-fat diet. The links below have more information. Here’s a good intro from Martina.
- Keto for Cancer – Miriam Kalamian helps you to tailor a ketogenic diet specific to those battling cancer. This was an important part of my battle against Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in 2015.
- Living La Vida Low Carb – Jimmy Moore is one of the leaders in the ketogenic diet as a part of a healthy lifestyle. His book Keto Clarity, is an awesome introduction to the diet. Highly recommended.
- Maria Mind Body Health – Maria Emmerich is another leader in the space. Lily likes her recipes from the Quick & Easy Ketogenic Cooking cookbook.
- Keto Diet Blog – by Martina Slajerova – another favorite from Lily.
Feel free to drop a comment if you have suggestions or to report broken links.