Last update: March 17, 2019
Interesting destinations on the Interwebs. The overlanding world is moving so fast it’s impossible to keep this kind of page up to date and accurate. If you are new to overlanding and expedition vehicles, I highly encourage attending one of the Overland Expo’s.
Table of contents
We built an expedition camper from a 15 foot Bliss Mobil camper unit mounted to a U.S. Army LMTV M1078A1. Couch Off-Road Engineering modified the LMTV platform. At one time, we also pulled a custom M1102 trailer from Access Manufacturing. You can get all the stats on our build from the deep dive stats post.
- Bliss Mobil has a unique angle on manufacturing highly self-reliant living quarters that can be mounted to any suitable truck frame. They’re based in Breda, the Netherlands. Marlene, Eduard and team are good people. They and the Bliss Mobil team have many combined years of experience and it shows in their products. After living in the Bliss Mobil habitat for over a year, I can vouch for their excellent customer support team! Always responsive and helpful.
- C.O.R.E. is based in Denver, Colorado, USA. Jay Couch, owner, has deep and extensive experience in 4WD, especially big vehicles like Mogs.
- Access Manuf (Expedition Supply provides sales and support) – Custom M1101/M1102 expedition trailers. As much as we love our M1102 trailer I’m considering eliminating it from our combo to make big truck offroad travel a tad easier.
- Acela Truck Company has recently come on to the scene and offer several turn-key LMTV and FMTV models. I met the team and toured their production facility and am very impressed! Top-notch builds with extensive options for utility and comfort.
- Grigsby Trucks – I’m not personally familiar with Walt Grigsby and his operation but know several people who are and they love his work. He’s based in Bend, Oregon.
Forums, Information, etc.
- Expedition Portal – Adventure and overland travel articles and forum.
- Steel Soldiers – Anything and everything about military vehicles.
- Total Escape – Getting off the beaten path in California.
- Ride The World – Traveling the world by motorcycle.
- Drive the Americas – Articles and forum regarding overland travel in North, Central and South America.
- Horizons Unlimited – Great info and forum on RTW motorcycling. Much of the information is equally apropos to any sort of RTW type travel.
- RV Mobile Internet – Staying connected to the Internet while living on the road (subscription required).
Vehicles – Stock, No Camper
- Acela Truck Company [USA] – Solid turn-key LMTV / FMTV trucks.
- Couch Off-Road Engineering [USA] – Bespoke Mogs, LMTVs and big rigs.
- GovPlanet – Military surplus auctions. Get a M1078 truck, M1101/M1102/M1082 trailers, or go huge!
- American Expedition Vehicles [USA] – Drool-worthy platforms for rooftop tents, campers, trailers…I love, love, love ’em!
- Vintage Offroad [USA] – Land cruisers! Yum!
- Mitsubishi Fuso [USA] – Good 4×4 platform for a small to mid-size camper.
- Expedition Imports [USA] – Mogs! Great platform for a mid-size overland camper.
- Rebel Offroad [USA] – Custom Jeeps and Pickups.
- Excap [Germany] – Fully refurbished Steyr 12M18. The Steyr and the U.S. Army share common heritage. Excap does beautiful work.
Vehicles – Turnkey Campers, Expedition and Overland
- Bliss Mobil [Netherlands] – This is what we ended up choosing! We love the product and the people! I’ll dedicate much more space to Bliss Mobil in future posts.
- Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans [USA] – The first vehicle we seriously considered. The latest models on the Mercedes Sprinter are pretty cool…
- EarthCruiser [USA] – Another one we considered. Expedition vehicle on the Fuso chassis with a relatively small profile.
- EarthRoamer Xpedition Vehicles [USA] – Luxury accommodations on a F550 chassis.
- Tiger Adventure Vehicles [USA] – A little less expensive (?) than the ER but still an awesome camper on a sturdy truck chassis.
- Global Expedition Vehicles [USA] – Custom expedition vehicles.
- All Terrain Warriors [USA] – Aussie made on a Fuso frame, SportsMobile as integrator/dealer. Similar profile and advantages of the EarthCruiser.
- Bocklet [Germany] – Large expedition vehicles.
- Hartmann [Germany] – Large, luxurious expedition vehicles built on Zetros and other large truck frames.
Accessories – Glamping and Otherwise
- Snow Peak – Beautiful, functional, expensive – we love it!
- Govino – Shatter-proof wine and beer glassware. Priorities.
- Zarges Aluminum Cases – Tough, expensive.
- Sabra Backpacks – Rugged, manly packs.
- ACR & Artex – Emergency Personal Locator Beacons.
Maps, Routes, Etc.
- Trans-America Trail – Aimed at dual-sport riders.
Health & Exercise
Body-weight Exercise (Calisthenics)
- THENX – It’s tough!
- Mark Lauren, You Are Your Own Gym – I’ve been following Mark’s routines for about 5 years and, when I’m sticking with it, I feel great! You can do these exercises any place and any time.
Carnivore / Ketogenic Diet
Lily and I follow a modified carnivore / keto diet. What is that? In a nutshell it’s a low-carb, high-fat diet that is mostly meat.
- Keto for Cancer – Miriam Kalamian helps you to tailor a ketogenic diet specific to those battling cancer. This was an important part of my battle against Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in 2015.
- Dr Georgia Ede MD – She breaks it all down.
- Amber O’Hearn – good science and discussion on carnivore / keto.
Feel free to drop a comment if you have suggestions or to report broken links.